It’s squash season and a great time to take advantage of making soup!
This butternut squash soup is one of the easiest soups you’ll ever make which is why I wanted to share it with you.
Winter squash is full of amazing nutritional benefits that will help to support our immunity all winter long:
- It has been shown to help the body balance sugar levels after eating
- Squash is a top source of vitamin A because of its carotenoid content
- It’s high in fibre
- Good source of Vitamin C
- Winter squash even has Omega-3 fats!
So you can see that eating butternut squash (or any orange and yellow winter squash in general) is a great option to stay healthy all winter long.
Below is the recipe for this Easy Butternut Squash soup!
Easy Butternut Squash + Leek Soup Recipe
It’s squash season and a great time to take advantage of making soup! This soup is one of the easiest soups you’ll ever make which is why I wanted to share it with you.
- 4 Cups butternut squash chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 1 large leek cleaned well and sliced width-wise
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp ghee (butter works too or add another tbsp of EVOO)
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tsp high quality sea salt or pink salt
- 3-4 cups chicken bone broth or stock of choice
In a large dutch oven or pot, heat the ghee and oil over medium heat and add the leeks. Sauté for about 5 minutes until a bit golden.
Add the curry powder and cook it with the leeks for another minute. This process helps to bring out the flavours in the curry powder.
Add the butternut squash and cook for another 2 minutes, mixing it in with the leeks and curry powder.
Add just enough chicken bone broth to cover the vegetables by half an inch or so. This is a pureed soup so you don’t want it too watery. Bring to a boil.
Turn down the heat, add the salt, cover and let it simmer until the squash is fork-tender–about 20 minutes.
When the soup is ready, use an immersion blender or regular blender to puree the soup.
Return to the pot to heat a bit more.
Serve topped with a glug of olive oil.
Easy peasy! Let me know if you make this! My kids loved it and asked for seconds which is rare in the household.
Easy Butternut Squash Soup Tips and Other Recommendations
- Feel free to use this with kabocha squash, or honeynut squash. Either of these will add a richness to the flavour.
- If you don’t have a leek, feel free to use onions and shallots as a substitute.
- If you’re using a regular blender to puree the soup, make sure to leave room to vent the steam otherwise you’ll have soup all over the place!
- Make a bigger batch and freeze for up to three months for freshness.
Free Guide + Simple Recipes!
Get my Free Guide: 3 Tips to Make Cooking at Home Easier + Easy Recipes Meal Plan
Thank you for subscribing! Your free guide and recipe booklet is on its way!
Something went wrong.